Ottawa Business Builders News
We are a busy group and we usually have something going on. Check below for current points of interest.
"...Being involved with this group has given me the opportunity to meet people from different types of businesses and really understand what it is that they do...
As a relatively new business owner, it has been more than helpful to have access to so many years of experience from so many different aspects of business...”
Tips of the Trade...OBB Brainstorming
Some quick tips for new & future business owners/managers from our group:
- Always make sure you have a copy of your LOGO in several formats available to email or print.
- Have a business plan with a lot of consideration spent on financing and competitors. Have a strategy, have a plan, work your plan, and don't be afraid to tweak that plan when needed.
- Don't be undercapitialized - its going to take several years to trun a profit so make sure that you are prepared.
- Find a mentor. Go to a different market and shadow someone.
- Know WHY they should buy from you - what sets YOU apart?
- Don't just advertise - market in every way you can. Put your logo on everything - take advanatage of social media.
- Look for a partner for purchasing larger amounts - not a competitor, but someone who enhances what you do.
- Take small steps - start business and establish roots while maintaing old position (paid employment).
- Separate your persona from your business - as a single business owner with no employees, it can be difficult.
- Don't be afraid to change.
- Find other businesses/orgainizations who serve your target audience and collaberate with them.
- You can never learn to much from your customers.
- Never fall in love with a deal - if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- Have an interactive web site - it needs to reflect who you are.
- Be careful about any contracts, especially long term ones.
- Look at incorporation - control your personal exposure.
Ottawa Business Builders is seeking new membership! We look forward to meeting you. Please contact Cherie Reynolds, OBB Treasurer - email@example.com or 815-433-3222 for more information.
We will be getting the save the dates out for the 5th Annual Black and White Ball to be held February 22, 2014.
Pics from the 2013 Black & White Ball
OBB in a Nutshell
Ottawa Business Builders is a group composed of Ottawa Chamber of Commerce members. The purpose of the group is to grow business through networking, sharing resources, and customer referrals in order to grow and expand participating businesses.
You can learn more about the Chamber at www.ottawachamberillinois.com
To contact the Ottawa IL Chamber of Commerce email firstname.lastname@example.org
or call (815)433-0084